Type 2 Diabetes is NOT a chronic and progressive disease, contrary to what some organizations and people have mislead patients to believe. This disease is reversible with the kind of dietary intervention offered by Anemone Lifestyle, not by taking medication or extra insulin – these only serve to treat the symptoms of diabetes (high blood sugar), not the underlying cause of these symptoms (insulin resistance/excess body weight).
Listen to Dr. Klein lecture on the treatment of type 2 diabetes and obesity with ketogenic diet at Dr. Eric Westman’s Adapt Your Life conference in Winchester, VA
Facts about diabetes:
- In type 2 diabetes due to being overweight or obese, the excess weight results in the body becoming resistant to insulin (“insulin resistance”).
- Carbohydrates in food contain glucose.
- Glucose stimulates production of insulin by the pancreas.
- Insulin helps glucose in the blood to enter into cells where it is used to produce energy.
- With insulin resistance, insulin becomes ineffective, so the body is unable to use glucose properly. This causes high glucose levels which stimulates even more insulin secretion resulting in “hyperinsulinemia”.
- High insulin levels will cause increased appetite, significant weight gain, and many other severe health issues. Insulin also blocks lipolysis – the process of fat burning.
A diet with very low carbohydrate reverses all of these trends. By not ingesting carbohydrates/glucose, we can influence the body to adjust its natural metabolism to burn fat for energy, instead of relying only on glucose. Blood glucose levels will decrease, resulting in lower insulin secretion. The combination of decreased insulin levels and significant weight loss will reduce insulin resistance, reverse type 2 diabetes and remove the need for medication. Also, by lowering insulin levels, body fat is more readily accessible to be burned for energy – allowing for increased and sustainable weight loss. In fact, many studies have shown low carbohydrate diets lead to more weight loss than other diet approaches, even when the number of calories consumed remains equal between the different diets.
A low carbohydrate diet is the most natural and organic way to treat diabetes due to resistance to insulin, i.e., type 2 diabetes. Our treatment approach is well supported by research and has been shown to be superior to other methods of type 2 diabetes treatment. The traditional type 2 diabetes treatment approach of pushing medications with little significant dietary changes does not treat the root cause of diabetes, and will only serve to worsen the progression of diabetes.
The Anemone Complete Meal Replacement Program produces immediate reductions in glucose and normalization of insulin levels, reversing diabetes and allowing discontinuation of medications; long term weight loss makes the diabetes remission sustained and long-lasting. For more information, follow this link: The Anemone Clinical Trial